This week's new addition to my teaching was math time, which I was looking forward to. This was the week where we began apple week, and we had a special apple activity that my host teacher told me the students always seemed to enjoy.
We read the story Ten Apples Up On Top and then used pictures we'd taken of the students earlier in the week to have them stack apples on top of their heads. They would glue their heads to a large piece of construction paper and then stack paper apples (all with numerals on them) on top of their heads. I think the students really got a kick out of this activity, as I think they enjoy something that's a little more hands on but also more personal. Being able to use their picture in this math project seemed to be something they enjoyed and were motivated by, and that's something I can remember for later lessons when thinking about student motivation.
Additionally we also had an apple taste test this week, and for elementary grades I love the idea of reinforcing the concept of graphs and grouping by attributes with a taste test. It's enjoyable for the students because they get an extra little treat, but it also shows them about sorting objects and creating graphs to represent data. This is really such a fun math activity, and whenever it can fit in with the theme of the classroom, it's certainly worth incorporating!
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment