The week of Halloween was one I had been looking forward to all semester. I’d spent weeks getting to know this class, and I was quite anxious to see what they chose to dress up as for our class Halloween parade and party. In the end, I was not disappointed. We had an assortment of Power Rangers – nearly an entire team – as well as some wrestlers, ninjas, and even a storm trooper. The girls were a bit more predictable, most choosing to go the route of the princess.
Though we were still preparing for Thanksgiving and also studying planets this week, I was surprised that the students stayed as focused as they did, specifically on Wednesday. We tried to incorporate a lot of Halloween themed activities so that we could play off of their excitement and keep them learning. I began by reading some of my favorite Halloween books (“Hallo-weiner” for instance) and then for math we made patterns out of Halloween candies and graphed which ones were our favorite. I really think these activities went well, because rather than try to fight the students’ excitement about the day, we were able to use it to our advantage by incorporating Halloween into the activities.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment