This week was the first in which I took responsibility for teaching the Circle Time portion of the day, which in my opinion is one of the most important aspects of kindergarten primarily because of the number of topics and concepts one has to cover.
When you stop and think about it, it can really be quite overwhelming. They're learning about days of the week, the month they're in, all the months of the year, place value, money, weather... there really is a lot for their minds to absorb, which is one of the reasons why I think repetition in a routine throughout the year is so important here. Eventually all of this becomes second nature to them, and they've learned so much without really knowing it.
One of my biggest fears for circle time was the idea that I might forget to cover something during the routine. In order to try and combat this, I created a small cheat sheet of circle time topics to hit, which I placed on the back of my Benedum intern name tag. It was pretty funny at first to have to peak at the back of my name tag every now and then, but I was just so nervous about forgetting something that I wanted to be sure I covered the most important things. In the end though, especially because of the additional work we're supposed to do from our new reading series, there will be days when you simply cannot cover it all.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This week was the first in which I took responsibility for teaching the Circle Time portion of the day, which in my opinion is one of the most important aspects of kindergarten primarily because of the number of topics and concepts one has to cover.
When you stop and think about it, it can really be quite overwhelming. They're learning about days of the week, the month they're in, all the months of the year, place value, money, weather... there really is a lot for their minds to absorb, which is one of the reasons why I think repetition in a routine throughout the year is so important here. Eventually all of this becomes second nature to them, and they've learned so much without really knowing it.
One of my biggest fears for circle time was the idea that I might forget to cover something during the routine. In order to try and combat this, I created a small cheat sheet of circle time topics to hit, which I placed on the back of my Benedum intern name tag. It was pretty funny at first to have to peak at the back of my name tag every now and then, but I was just so nervous about forgetting something that I wanted to be sure I covered the most important things. In the end though, especially because of the additional work we're supposed to do from our new reading series, there will be days when you simply cannot cover it all.
Post a Comment